Saturday, June 20, 2015

I figured it out.

Hey, look, I still exist. This whole end-of-school-year, bun-in-the-oven, and most-intense-grad-class-ever thing swallowed me up whole the past month and a half. Luckily, the last day of the school year greeted me yesterday, and boy, Vincenza and I rejoiced at its arrival. It could not have stepped off the jet plane a moment sooner either because this kid's and my struggle to make use of this tiny space I call a body has left the two of us feeling rather cramped at seven and a half months pregnant. I really cannot blame her for standing on my bladder; the poor kid is growing like a Chia pet, and my body is doing a shoddy job of keeping up with her. Almost like clockwork every week, my body experiences painful growth spurts during which time my belly feels as if it might pop, and I think Meany Dwarf is attacking my lower back with a pick axe. My belly finally grows enough to give the little lady some much-needed space, and then we continue the cycle the following week. I feel sorry for this poor kid. At least I don't have a gall bladder or appendix, so she has a bit of a playpen in which to practice her dance moves?

As for what I "figured out," a list that appears to shrink quicker than it grows, I think I understand this dressing the bump thing. Make no mistake that "bun in the oven" is an appropriate term because the amount of heat emanating from my body surprises even me, which means I need to sport fewer layers while still remaining socially acceptable. I would like to maintain some dignity here because urinating while sneezing or committing any other spontaneous physical action seriously diminishes the dignity I once had. Anyway, I decided that all light, sleeveless layers (like this top, sleeveless cardigans, and vests) and dresses make the perfect summer pregnancy combination. Granted, they make the perfect summer combination for anyone, but I finally figured out what I can comfortably wear. 

In case you are just need a pregnancy update (though the previous paragraphs offered some real gems in that department), allow me to indulge you.


Trimester: Third. This coming Wednesday, we will be at 31 weeks. Keep cooking, kid!

Wearing: Pretty much everything maternity that I buy comes from thredUP because you can receive 15% on Wednesdays with code HHWed15, and I refuse to spend a lot of money on accidental napkins that harbor stains of every food I consume throughout the day. I try to find non-maternity items that will fit me now and later (like this maxi dress). I have also kept a few things from Stitch Fix in the past three months. 

Reading: Oh, I am so excited to read! I want to read Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns by John Green because so many of my students suggested them. 

Eating: I have turned into my mother during her pregnancy with me. She continually craved seafood (shrimp and crabs), and here I am craving the very same things. Yes, I am mindful of my intake. This kid is eating a very balanced diet! I passed the gestational diabetes test, so I guess my sugar intake is good. Based on the midwives' suggestions, I try to reduce my carb intake and increase my proteins and greens, which hasn't been a problem for me.

Weight: Everyone asks. I don't mind sharing. I started at 122 pounds. I now weigh in at 137, which just so happens to be 10 pounds less than my 6'3" husband. His favorite part of every visit (aside from listening to her heartbeat) is seeing how much I weigh. What a weirdo. I'm not exactly sure how big she is, but maybe we will find out next week?

Baby's Movements: Our little lady is a mover and a shaker; she constantly amuses me because I feel like she already has a feisty little personality. She hates it if I lean over for too long. She hates it when I cross my legs. She loves it when I stretch out on the couch (gives her more room). She loves hanging out on the right side (I'd hang out there too since the space is missing two internal organs). She will probably love the beach because she loves pretending to be a starfish in there. She spreads out her arms and legs and just wiggles them around. She must be tall like her daddy because she seems to simultaneously kick me in the lady parts while hanging onto my ribs.

Baby's Room: Well, my husband has been rewiring her room and the room next to hers, so that project has to be completed before we can paint her room, assemble the crib, and all of that jazz. We are finishing her room and the room next to it, so the process is a bit more laborious (pun intended). Jeff has one socket left in her room, the light in her closet, and ripping down the wood paneling on one wall of her room before we can paint it. Also, when the weather permits, he and my dad will be replacing the windows in her room since hers currently whistle with the wind. (Hey, they are original to the 1971 house!) Unfortunately, the nesting phase is really taking its hold on me, so I organize what little I can for now. 

 The Outfit:
Top: The Limited (not maternity)
Dress: Old Navy (not maternity)
Headband: Target
Earrings: Francesca's

Also, please take note of the adorable handmade gifts two students gave to me for Vincenza. She is already cooler than I am! We will both cherish these keepsakes for years to come. 

6 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you are still doing well. I love that you shared the gifts from your students. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Youuu are the cutest. I think if you reach his weight, you should celebrate with a cute piece of cake. Now you've got me wondering if I'll ever reach Larry's weight! Ahhh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for you and your baby and being done with school! Also, that is the most awesome pillow ever! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hey, you're alive! Good to see ya, although you post pretty regularly on Instragram--the only aspect of blogging I'm keeping up with. You are so tiny for being 31 weeks pregnant! It's funny to compare your weight to your husbands. Makes me curious about my own baby one day since we both weighed the same amount. Is your body having more difficulty because you're small or because of previous health problems do you know? I'm glad to hear you both are doing well though! If you have Vincenza in August, will you be teaching next year? You planned the pregnancy perfectly somehow to correspond with the school year should you decide you want to go back right away. It must be nice to relax and take it easy for the remainder of your pregnancy now that the school year is over! Looking forward to more updates to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got the CUTEST baby bump :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! A ton of my students recommended John Green books to me as well. As I'm trying to use this summer to read as many neglected books from our bookshelves as I can, I'm going to hold off on getting those books from the library until the school year starts, but I'm so excited to read both of them! I love the gifts your students made for Vincenza as well - she is so loved already! I'm really happy we got to hear from you - I've missed you in the blogging world (although, admittedly, I've been pretty quiet myself these days...I'm not sure if I'm going to keep at it or not...ah! Decisions, decisions!).

    Keep on cooking, Miss Vincenza!!!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to throw some witticisms my way.