Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Chambray

"Trends" I Wish Would Die a Fiery Death:

1. Low pants: My mom claimed that this trend has died off, but my students are still wearing their pants too low. They've evolved from just showing boxers to wearing sometimes three layers under their pants, all of which peek out in varying degrees. Bottom layer = pants, next layer = athletic pants/sweatpants, next layer = athletic shorts, and final layer = underwear. 
Die, low pants, die. 
Oh, and girls who still let their thong straps peek out above their pants? STOP. Just stop. 

2. If my friends ever referred to me as their "bitch," I would smack a bitch up. Why do ladies call each other their "bitches?" It's not cute. It's not endearing. It's not funny. It's dumb.  Why has this trend not died? Sure, I can rest easy that "I heart you" has waned, but this "my bitches" thing still rages on. I don't know if I can call this one a trend, but I needed to acknowledge it somehow. 

3. High socks: Unless your socks are the bomb diggity because they're argyle print, striped, or something fun like polka dots, please do not wear them with your athletic shorts and Sperry shoes. If you wear them with sandals, someone needs to beat you with your footwear. You see, it started with my male students. They wore t-shirts and athletic shorts to school; they topped it all off with tall Nike socks and either Sperrys or sandals.  They said it was cool. I reminded them that it was sloppy. Then the girls started doing it! Ladies, ladies, ladies, expose your socks under two conditions: one, your socks are wicked cool; two, the rest of your outfit coordinates with your sweet socks. 
Otherwise, I will be forced to follow you as I sing my self-made parody of "Shots." 
(Instead of singing "shots," sing "socks.") 

Are there any trends you wish would die? 
It's okay if you say skinny pants, chambray, or colored pants.
I won't stop wearing mine, but I won't be offended either.



Outfit Deets:
Chambray top: Rock and Republic via Kohl's--it's soooo soft, the perfect length, and has some fun on the collar. (can't find it online, but it was in the store--here is a similar one)
Pants: I wish I could remember (similar pair here)
Boots: Franco Sarto via Marshall's (cute from Target, love these, and these)
Necklace: Forever21 (exact for $6.80)


22 comments:

  1. Love the colored jeans...I want that trend to stay, but I agree with the sagging pants...

    Stopping in from WIWW...

    -shopfreak

    giveaway time! shop by to win a Posh'mina scarf!

    http://shopfreak14.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-posh-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your style is fun! I stopped by and entered your awesome giveaway. My gosh, those scarves are gorgeous. I bet they're super soft, too. I can't resist a soft fabric. Ever.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE red jeans. I really need to get a pair. I have red slacks but not jeans. (and orangey red cords...)

    Must. Stop. Shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally laughed out loud at your comment. I want red slacks now. Well, I have burgundy (refuse to call it "oxblood"--creeps me out) ones, but I think red slacks need to make an appearance in my closet.

      There are far worse vices we could have than shopping, right? That's what I tell myself.

      Delete
  3. Hahah, I completely agree with all of this! Low pants drive me insane and I keep wanting to pull them up on people!

    I adore your outfit, I wear something similar as my go to comfort outfit.

    http://heythere-georgiegirl.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I threatened a student today that I would bring in really thick rope and make him pull up his pants with it. Boys let their pants hang low, and girls let their shorts ride up their butt cracks. Can we please find a happy medium?

      After wearing this outfit for the first time today, I think it might have to be my go-to comfort outfit!

      Delete
  4. HATE hate hate when I can see someone's thong...put that thing away ladies! Love your chambray with those red pants :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I have the strongest inclination to just give them an even bigger wedgie or snap the straps. Fair enough, I think. I feel as though the fashion blogging world has positively influenced me. I'm not sure I would've considered this easy combination beforehand!

      Delete
  5. I love this combo, it's so one of my Favs and you look great wearing it!
    Ginny
    mynewfavoriteoutfit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you. I FINALLY found the perfect chambray for me. I have a feeling the blogging world will get sick of seeing this one. So, brace yourself.

      Delete
  6. Love your style! I bought a pair of red jeans but I'm on the fence about whether to keep them or not. Your post leans me towards keeping them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooo, Christine, I found this pin on Pinterest for you :) It will solidify your decision to keep those red jeans!

      Here's the link for it: http://pinterest.com/pin/171629435771323676/

      Lots o' red jeans inspiration. Woot woot.

      Delete
  7. Love this outfit, I've been obsessed with Chambray this season! I've seen the Rock and Republic stuff at Kohls, but have yet to make a purchase! Thank you so much for linking up with Diaries of A Bargainista!

    http://allthingsalisamarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wait until my mom has popped out a 30% coupon (or, you tell them "I forgot my coupon," and the nice cashier gives the discount to you) and a super sale. You should definitely get some Rock and Republic stuff. It's really well made and the right amount of edgy. I'm a huge fan of them and Lauren Conrad. Kohl's for the win. I'm glad I found your link up! :)

      Delete
  8. Adorable!! Found you linked up at the pleated poppy :)

    Fotini

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, low pants need to go! It's not 2001! And I don't want to see your butt crack lol

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally snorted at that comment. Crack kills!

      Delete
  10. LOL! I totally agree with the low pants. Ugh! Drives me nuts.
    That aside, I adore your outfit! Love the colors together, and those boots are awesome!
    Tiffany
    www.fabulessinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your look! I'm so ready for college girls to stop wearing leggings as pants, and especially leggings with tube socks over the leggings and tennis shoes. (I'm a grad student and see this look every day!)

    Kate @ A Journey in Style

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't agree more! I can't believe I forgot to add that one. There is a reason they call them leggings and not buttings. We should see only your legs, not your butt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the chambray. It's such a great piece and yet somehow, I haven't joined into this trend yet. And every time I see someone with a cute post involving chambray I can't help but wonder how I haven't yet invested in a shirt yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need a chambray shirt apparently! Everyone's got one! I agree that your #2 on what should die, should die! I hate that people call each other that!

    Eve
    lovealwayseve.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to throw some witticisms my way.