Thursday, August 6, 2015

Big Changes Ahead

I know many previous students follow my blog, so I dedicate a large portion of this post to them. First, however, let's begin with this outfit. Have you ever watched Mean Girls? If so, you understand me when I tell you that I feel like Regina George: "all that fits me right now are sweatpants." Thankfully, I received my August Stitch Fix box this week, and my stylist included this maxi skirt, which is not maternity, yet it fits my 37-week belly. Yes, we have reached 37 weeks, which means the little lady is considered "term" and can come any time she so chooses now. All of her organs are developed; she is just packing on the pounds at this point. If you have never tried Stitch Fix, feel free to use my referral link (for which I get a little kickback if you choose to sign up for a fix).

Second, take a moment to appreciate that my dogs actually sat and posed for pictures with me. This first picture with Squirt amuses me every single time I look at it. Roxy, on the other hand, has taken to listening much better. She also will not leave me alone, and she's taken up this strange habit of sniffing and licking my belly. I hope she doesn't think I'm giving birth to a marshmallow. Sorry, dog, you cannot eat this child.

Third, my husband bought me a new camera to celebrate my upcoming birthday and that whole becoming a mom thing, so yay for better pictures!

Finally, impending motherhood has taught me that life brims and overflows with bittersweet transitions. Of course, we must all remember, most importantly, to make the best decisions for ourselves and our families. What works for one person and family does not work for just everyone. Thus, we decided as a family (after I hemmed and hawed for months on end) that the best road for our family to travel is my taking a leave of absence from the classroom. I did not make this decision lightly and, quite honestly, it is a decision with which I am still making peace because teaching has remained the crux of my life since I was four years old.

This career path, however, has not come without great sacrifice on my part as all great adventures do, of course. My long work days, my preoccupation with the welfare of other people's children, and my all-consuming love for this profession cost me friendships, quality time with my family, and even my health. Until I navigate this new role of motherhood, I need to take several steps back from teaching so that I can learn how to play mommy and how exactly teaching fits into this next stage in my life, in our lives. So, I am making my first sacrifice of many in parenthood. Since I still need and want to contribute an income to our family, I will be accepting tutoring jobs and exploring other options in education that allow me to pursue my passion while raising Vincenza.

Thank you to the thousands of students who have undoubtedly prepared me for motherhood; in fact, if you are reading this post and you have sat in my classroom, please know that you are one of the many reasons I wanted to become a mother in the first place. All of my students, even the wildly obnoxious ones, have brightened my tiny corner of the world, and even if I do not ultimately return to the classroom, my gratitude for all of you will extend far beyond the day I turn to dust.

The Outfit
The Skirt: Paper Moon via Stitch Fix
The Shirt: Old Navy maternity
The Necklace (old): Sonoma via Kohl's




5 comments:

  1. you're looking great, Danielle! the maxi skirt is perfect and hooray for a better camera!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a big decision! And while I support all mothers who choose to stay at home or work, your words describing your reasons for choosing to stay home with Vincenza are the most convincing I've heard. Perhaps it's because I'm a teacher and I can relate but, "This career path, however, has not come without great sacrifice on my part as all great adventures do, of course. My long work days, my preoccupation with the welfare of other people's children, and my all-consuming love for this profession cost me friendships, quality time with my family, and even my health," really struck a chord. I hope that you continue to feel confident and at peace with your decision.

    Meanwhile, you are looking adorable and I can't wait to see Vincenza! Yay for new cameras...I just got one for my birthday...but I haven't figured out how to use it yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that this was a very difficult decision for you. I've never met you in person but I can just tell that you are passionate about teaching. You've already got a lot of experience loving and supporting children, so Vincenza is lucky to have you as her mommy. I can't wait for your little one to arrive. And you look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This must have been such a huge decision for you. You've talked multiple times about your love for teaching. I'm glad you're able to take all your time and energy for your little girl. I'm sure your health can only benefit from this too. Do you know how long of a break you want to take? I'm hoping my boyfriend and I are still able to work from home when the time comes for kids so we can make sure to be around them for most of their young lives. They just grow up so fast, you don't want to miss if you don't have to! I'm so happy for you and excited to see Vincenza's debut!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so far behind on reading blogs, that I missed this one! I hope you are feeling good about your decision. I didn't love my job like you do, but it was still a weird feeling to be done with working for now. So far, I completely love it, and know it is the best thing for my family (especially with autoimmune issues, working and momming would be really hard!). I hope you can find the perfect balance to keep your health and still do what you love!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to throw some witticisms my way.