Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Pep Talk & an $8 dress


It's that time of year again. No, it's not a jolly 'oliday with Mary. (I might be the only one on the inside of that joke.) It's the end of the school year. The end of the school year brings with it bucket loads of stress for so many people. I find myself wanting to throat punch students who obnoxiously whine (is there any other kind?) because they have to study since they didn't pay attention the first fifty times their teachers covered the material that will now end up on their exams. Teachers are spread thin with exam creation, make-up work from students who should've had better sense to complete it sooner, frantic, my-kid-has-to-earn-an-A parents, and all other sorts of nonsense. I used to be type A, but I've taught myself to just say, "whatever. It'll get done." I've probably tacked ten years back onto my life by adopting this mindset. The truth is that I know that I won't accomplish things any quicker by stressing about them. In fact, I'm the kind of person who's paralyzed by stress. (I'm aware that some of you are fueled by it, and I sure do feel sorry for you.) If I feel overwhelmed, I shut down. To avoid this tragic outcome, I take a few deep breaths and remind myself, "It's cool. It'll get done, Danielle. You always get it done." Good pep talk, self. 

I think we so desperately want to please everyone--our bosses, our kids, our students, our clients, our spouses, our parents, our friends, our whatever--that we leave nearly no room for ourselves. When that happens, almost no one gets the best of who we can be. We say yes so often that we sometimes cannot remember what we've said yes to doing. As a result, tasks remain undone and favors end up forgotten. Later, we kick ourselves for not being good enough when the problem is not our being good enough; it's our taking on too much because we care so much. Whoever said "I can only please one person a day and today is just not your day" is probably off drinking a delicious beverage with an umbrella in it because they've figured it all out in a way most of us have not. (I'd stereotype and say that "us" really means women, but I know that would be unfair. A lot of dudes are the same way. I guess.) 

Here's the thing: no is one of the first words we overuse as toddlers and one of the first words we don't say enough as adults. To save your sanity, improve one of your relationships, get more sleep, or feel less cranky, I challenge all of you to reteach yourself the word that two-year-old you was so wise to love.

And on to the real reason you visit me here at this little ol' blog. My awesome fashion sense. 

My husband decided to take a selfie first. 


Based on my wardrobe choices, I'm pretty sure my favorite colors are yellow and blue. I can't stop wearing them.  



I think this bow completes the entire ensemble.


The following image freaked me out on Google+ (when did it start making these!?), so I'm freaking you out, too. I feel like the image's soundbite should say, "WEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"


The Outfit:
Dress: Target for $8 on the clearance rack
(I own it in black and stripes. IT HAS POCKETS.)
Flats: Nine West via Marshall's
Belt: New York & Co.
Blazer: Express
Arrow necklace: Stella and Dot
Bow clip: Forever 21


While taking these pictures, Jeff exclaimed, "you need a tan." Thank you for the vote of confidence, sweet husband of mine. 

Linking up herehere, and here


10 comments:

  1. OMG THAT BOW

    AND THAT GIF

    my day is complete

    ReplyDelete
  2. For real? That dres s is gorgeous! I love the color and pattern <3

    By the way, I've updated my blog with a new post. I'd love for you to swing by :) www.fashchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, way!! How is it possible that a dress this stunning cost $8? Great bargain and good find!

    Visiting from the LINK UP, do swing by my page when you can :)

    GREETINGS FROM DUBAI
    MRS JACK OF ALL TRADES (a fashion and life-style blog)
    http://mrsjackofalltradesdaily.blogspot.ae/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow fantastic dress just for $8! And that bow is perfect you look so lovely <3 x

    Cholfable

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow your dress is outstanding. I cannot believe what a bargain it was!!! The colours and print are stunning. Love your hair bow. Your whole hair style reminds me of the hairstyle I usually have on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love LOVE that dress! I need it. And the hairbow. yes.
    You look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So weird that it's so natural to say NO as a toddler, but so hard to say it as an adult! Maybe it's the people pleaser in me that doesn't want to look "mean" or "negative" or whatever by saying no.

    AND THAT DRESS. 8 DOLLAS??? WHY DID YOU NOT BUY ME ONE TOO? I was stalking the striped version for the longest time but it was stuck at 30% off and I didn't want to buy it unless it was at least 50% off (because the last thing I need is another dress) but by the time it hit 50% off, they were all sold out of my size :( I love the addition of the bow!!

    Wait... how did Google+ make that image? They compile images into gifs? Am I missing something??

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I JUST LEFT A COMMENT AND I DIDN'T HAVE TO FIGURE OUT THE CAPTCHA LETTERS!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dress is great and I LOVE the bow! Google makes GIFs now? Who knew!

    Hope to see you linked up at What I Wore Wednesday Just grab the badge or link and comment and you're good to go!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to throw some witticisms my way.