Friday, July 20, 2012

Nightstand Transformed

When we first moved in, Jeff brought his nightstands from home. They are great nightstands! They have a drawer and a space for a basket. However, they just do not fit the decor of our bedroom. Since they're really functional and structured the way that I'd like them, I just decided to change their color. 

Here is the original nightstand:


A closer shot (and that candle smells divine, by the way):



And click "read more" to see what it looks like now that I painted it:









So, what did I do?


  1. I pulled out the drawer. 
  2. I shimmied the gold strip out of its slot by wedging a flat head screwdriver under it and carefully lifting up. 
  3. I unscrewed the handle. 


  4. To make sure I liked the color and knew what I was doing, I started with just the drawer. I primed the drawer using Glidden's gripper. I told the Home Depot guy what I was doing, and he suggested the paints. When I was researching online, everyone says that you need an oil-based primer and a latex paint because it adheres better. I put my faith in the Home Depot guy. We'll see how that pans out.
    Here is what The Home Depot paint guy suggested.

    The drawer after its coats of paint
  5. While the primer dried on the drawer, I went outside and spray painted the gold strip and gold handle with the oil rubbed bronze spray paint. 
  6. I did a load of laundry and ate a snack.
  7. My mini roller. (The Home 
  8. I put the first coat of paint on the drawer. It's white and semi-gloss (will wipe off easier). I used a very mini roller because it leaves no fuzz and smooths out the paint. Love my mini roller.
  9. Since I liked the color, I decided to prime the rest of the nightstand.
  10. While that dried, I put another coat of spray paint on the handle and strip.
  11. I did a load of laundry and played with the puppies. I tooled around online.
  12. I put another coat of paint on the drawer and then the first coat of paint on the nightstand.
  13. I ate dinner, hung out with Jeff, and took a shower.
  14. I put another coat of paint on the drawer and nightstand.
  15. Just keep putting on coats of paint until you're satisfied with the results. 
  16. Do not set anything on it for at least 72 hours so that you do not end up with indentations/etc. I quickly put the drawer in for these pictures and quickly pulled it back out. 
  17. Most sites recommend finishing it off with a polycrylic (ex: Minwax Water-based Polycrylic Protective Finish in clear gloss); that way, you can wipe off the surface easier. I have not yet done that because I need to buy some at Lowes or Home Depot. 

 So, here is a before and after shot:


And one final look at our nightstand transformed:

Painting furniture was a lot easier than I anticipated; I don't know why I didn't bite the bullet sooner. For the record, I painted only one to be sure we both liked it. Also, I wanted to wait until this one cured before setting it up and starting the next one. That way, we're not without two nightstands at the same time. I'll start on the other one once this one has cured.

Hope you like it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to throw some witticisms my way.