Thursday, February 19, 2015

Overwhelmingly Wonderful Day

While the adults of this world often leave me feeling fearful of our future, my students remind me of what's good about this planet. Thank you, students, for continually redeeming my faith in humanity. It makes me feel much less worried for this little one of mine. Today, with a trumpet, sign, flowers, and a crown, the senior class brought me the greatest honor, Teacher of the Year. I am surprised these pregnancy hormones did not push me into a pool of tears when you came into my fifth period class and surprised us all with the news. Even my fifth period juniors standing to clap for me did not bring tears to my eyes.

After I realized that the trumpet call was for me and not NHS tappings, all I could think of is how much joy you all bring me every day. I felt nothing but warmth (and no, I did not pee myself early, thank you), and that is why I could not shed a tear. I can only smile. The honest (yet cheesy) truth is that working with such a witty, talented, and sweet group of students for the past four years (and every year of my career) truly is the greatest honor of all. This kid of mine will need a closet dedicated to the shoes it needs to fill. Your overwhelmingly wonderful gesture humbles me. I hope the speech I have to write for your graduation (which leaves me feeling a little...a lot...scared) makes you as proud as I am of you.

If you'd like to see the tweet and a picture of my ever-so-flattering smile, here you have it:

Good thing I washed my hair this morning. Oh, speaking of which, I dressed myself, too. Here you go:


The Look:
Sweater: Old Navy (thanks, cousin Lisa!)
Top: Apt. 9 via Kohl's (thanks, Momma!)
Pants: Motherhood Maternity (thanks again, Momma!)
Note: the pants are actually gray, not black.
Earrings: New York & Co.


A few people have requested a bump picture. Ask and you shall receive. 
Finally, it's not gas. 

7 comments:

  1. CONGRATS. You are amazing and you deserve the award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, that's what my belly looks like pretty much every night after dinner.

      Delete
  2. This makes me so happy! You are so deserving of this honor and it does give me hope for the future that there are such amazing teachers out there who are working with students to guide them as they figure out how to be grownups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you didn't cry, I almost cried just reading this! Congratulations! You can just tell that you are one of the good ones, a wonderfully deserving teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how you didn't cry, I almost cried just reading this! Congratulations! You can just tell that you are one of the good ones, a wonderfully deserving teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! What a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Danielle!! You totally deserve all the praise and recognition. Such exciting news!!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to throw some witticisms my way.