Monday, August 18, 2014

Teacher Style: Navy Dress

I picked only three dresses for you this week because, you know what? I own an exorbitant amount of skirts, but not so many dresses. Dresses perplex me. I find one that fits my upper half but then it will be too short on me. If I try tall sizes, they don't fit in width. So, the dress struggle is real. Anyway, today's dress is perfect, and I'd buy it in every color if they had it. I found it for a good deal this past spring at J.Crew Factory (only ever shop the sales...ever.)

(In image two, that is not a "scarf necklace," it is just a scarf instead of a necklace. Stupid error stays as it is. And, technically, an infinity scarf is like a fabric necklace.)

Look 1: statement necklace + flats
Mom bought this necklace for my birthday, and I simply love it. I immediately pictured it with this dress. I kept the look pretty simple. 

Look 2: scarf (not scarf necklace) + colored flats
I also added some big earrings. I think statement earrings work well with a scarf. I think I found me a new "formula." 

Look 3: colored cardigan + matching shoes and necklace
Oh, hey, it's the yellow cardigan again. Surprise. I think what makes it go with everything is its length. Perfect length for a dress. I wish I could find this perfect length and fabric again, but I bought the cardigan so many years ago. Why didn't my past self understand how awesome this cardigan would be?

Look 4: printed cardigan + statement necklace + neutral shoes
I really love these colors together. And this necklace finishes off the look quite nicely. Feel free to substitute your printed cardigan for a printed blazer.

 Look 5: heels + leather jacket
I wanted to show you how to take this look on a date if you're jetting off from work to a restaurant. I also now understand why some women wear heels every day. Hello there, leg muscles. Nice to see you.

Sorry for the crappy photo quality. I haven't seen my mom in a week and a half.  Plus, this school year is going to be crazy, so I'm not sure I'll have time for fancy posts (or any posts) once the school year (including grad school, round two) begins. 

8 comments:

  1. I love my navy dress, but definitely don't wear it as much as I could. Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that dress is beautiful on you lady! god knows I would throw a thousand belts at it, but I like it simple the way it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want this dress! It looks good with everything, because navy is an awesome neutral! I agree with Fran that I'd probably always add a belt, but you don't exactly need to do the "create a waist" trick since you actually have one!

    I hope life doesn't get too terribly busy for you. I'll miss my daily dose of Danielle's style and humor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so behind on your "Teacher Style" posts but I'm so excited to get caught-up! This dress is amazing! I saw a pretty similar one at Target this weekend and am now very tempted to go grab one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas! I recently bought a solid gray dress, so I think I might try a few of these "formulas" with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um where can I get me a perfect navy fit and flare dress with sleeves? Why are cute dresses with sleeves so hard to find? Seriously. I like the neutral color palette the dress gives you. So many possibilities. Scarf and statement necklace is my favorite. I love it so so much. Where are your grey bow flats from?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ummm, I love this dress so much! You are so adorable. I'm really hoping that you'll still have a little time to post here and there, because I'll miss you a TON if you disappear forever!! But, I also understand that you gotta do what you gotta do to keep sane and happy, and as someone who is a big believer and promoter of self-care, make sure that you're doing what you can to take care of yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to throw some witticisms my way.