Thursday, April 10, 2014

Caution: I am not this cool in real life.

At my age, we women walk a tricky rope when we say, "I have big news for you!" Most people predict a pregnancy announcement. I can assure you that is not the case for the news I am about to share. In fact, as you read this post, I am under the ENT's knife because my face doesn't like itself. Well, the inside of my face doesn't like itself. I'm working on trying to sustain my own life at the moment, not grow another one.

Anyway, as one of my juniors always says, you're probably wondering why I gathered you all here today.

I am not even sure how to tell you, so bear with me.

As you may or may not know, my mom is my biggest cheerleader in life. She thinks I can conquer the world, and the greatest reason I can defeat so many of my health-related obstacles is because of her "you can do it" attitude. She likes all of my blog posts on Facebook. She keeps up with everything that I write on here. She takes my pictures for the blog. She cheers louder for my victories than any of my adversaries could boo. Well, her love for me led her to write a paragraph nominating me as one of Neiman Marcus' Faces of Beauty, a woman who is beautiful both inside and out. I guess I inherited my flair for writing from her because Neiman Marcus picked me as one of their six faces of beauty for this fall. (Seriously, just typing that sentence almost made me throw up with apprehension and excitement.)

When I first received the e-mail, I thought it was a total hoax like those "you have a million dollars waiting for you in Africa" e-mails, so I called mom and hesitantly inquired, "Did you nominate me to be one of Neiman Marcus' Faces of Beauty?" Softly and with a hint of curiosity in her voice, she responded, "yes." So, I responded, "Well, I just received an e-mail that said they picked me. I'm exactly what they're looking for. They love that my mom nominated me." I think my right ear is still ringing from her shrill shrieks that pierced it at that very moment.

So they picked me. I can think of a long list of women I find more talented, beautiful, and giving than I am, but they picked me. Nothing really compares to a mother's love, and I can attest to that truth.

What does it all mean? Well, I fly out to Dallas May 5th-6th, they put me up in a hotel, I have a photoshoot with a NY photographer, I get $1500 in cosmetics/fragrances, I keep the wardrobe from the photoshoot, I get chauffeured in a limo, I get free dinners/lunches, and they use my face for their national advertising campaign. I do not know what I did to deserve a mother as wonderful as mine and an experience as exceptional as this one, but I am grateful. And that word seems so small and insignificant to express how thankful I am for my mom's faith in me. I know you're probably reading this, Mom, so thank you. Thank you so very much for being my mom.

There's the big news. Now, what do I wear?

Mom says this outfit would be a good choice. Since she dresses me better than I do, she's probably right. Plus, it's the spring version of my favorite fall/winter outfit.


The Look:
Cardigan: Sonoma via Kohl's
Top: Merona via Target (recent)
Skirt: Francesca's
Flats: Target
Earrings: Local Boutique called Sweet Elizabeth Jane (find them on Facebook!)






I think this outfit qualifies for the April challenge because it suits two themes: tribal print and local love.

Today is my big link up day. I'm joining all of these ladies:
* What I Wore to Work: http://www.mixmatchfashion.com/
* All Things Thursday: http://www.glitzandgold.com
* Look What I Got (for cheap): http://pennilesssocialite.blogspot.com/ 
* Tres-Chic Fashion Thursday: http://vodkainfusedlemonade.com/

 


18 comments:

  1. Holy smokes, girl! What incredible, amazing news! Congratulations!! You totally deserve it; you are beautiful inside and out.
    I'm hoping your surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all you look so cute. Secondly, awesome news.WOW, so nice of your mom and so nice of them to choose you. I swear I thought your news was something beauty or fashion-related because a pregnancy would have been obvious. Last and most importantly have an easy surgery and an easy recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!!!! This is so awesome! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute :) M&MFASHIONBITES mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, that is amazing!! So cool! It is awesome that your mom not only knew about it (how does one's mother know about these things!?) but that she entered you! You totally deserve it. I can't wait to hear about everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is AMAZING news, congrats! and of course they picked you, you're gorgeous and seem really sweet :) congrats again, and your mom sounds awesome (a bit like my mum, sniff sniff).

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONGRATS!! How exciting--you are so blessed to have such an ahmazing mom :) And she is very blessed to have you as a daughter--what a great experience this will be!

    Tori
    FashionBlingGirlyThings

    ReplyDelete
  8. SHUT UP. I'm seriously about to cry in excitement for you! Girl, that is amazing! Congratulations!! You are seriously beautiful inside and out, and you DO deserve this. I agree with your mom, that outfit would be perfect! I can not wait to hear all about this :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow that is so exciting! Have fun on your photo shoot. You are going to become a celebrity :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW that is huge news. This is so exciting, you'll have to share all about it (obviously). Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look adorable! I love that skirt

    Tiffany Ima
    <a href="http://stylehonestly.com>Style Honestly </a>

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is amazing and wonderful news! I love hearing about how close you are to your mom. That is so sweet that she nominated you, but I think you certainly deserve to have been selected. Congratulations! And I hope your surgery goes well and that you heal fast and are more comfortable afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing opportunity! Congratulations! Moms are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Danielle!!!! Oh my gosh I am SOOO excited for you!! I can't even believe it! Your Momma is always right because I could not think of a better candidate for such a HUGE campaign. I've never actually heard about it but it sounds quite amazing! Is Jeff able to go with you, or your Momma who nominated you???!! Please take LOTS of pictures and post them on here and Instagram so we can all share the excitement with you! Wow, I am so so excited for you! Congratulations Danielle! You totally deserve this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting!! Mom's are the best cheerleaders! I'm excited for your opportunity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. HFS!! (This is code in our family for holy effing crap...or something like that... ;) ) I am SO excited for you! I don't know you in real life, but I feel like I know you fairly well over the internet...and I definitely would call you incredibly deserving of this honor! You're a fantastic person, and truly beautiful inside and out. I'm so proud of and excited for you! I can't wait to hear more about this process :) And, for the record, this is a fantastic outfit for the occasion. You've never looked better!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH MY GOSH! That's so amazing! You are perfect for that - and I LOVE that your mom nominated you. What an awesome opportunity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG!!!! Congrats! This is awesome! Such a great experience you will have. And, so awesome that your mom is the one who nominated you...aren't moms the best!! Love the outfit. No matter what you wear, you're gonna be great!

    Tiffany
    www.StyleSidebar.com

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to throw some witticisms my way.