Monday, April 28, 2014

Local Love & Lace

Who is not smitten with alliterative titles? People who wouldn't know awesomeness if it poked them in the ocular. That's who. People who deliberately give their children alliterative names, on the other hand, are being almost as cruel as people who name their child after their surname (Phillip Phillips...really?) Maybe I'm just jealous of people with alliterative names. Who can be sure? 

I am back and in action, folks! If you could have seen me literally whip my head back and forth--not as intensely as Willow Smith--as I typed that, you'd surely want to know me in real life if you don't already. I am SO back that I am showing you two outfits today. Oh me oh my. 

I wanted you to see how I dress up and dress down this lovely lace shirt. Something for work and something for play (or casual Friday for those of us whose places of employment are lucky we don't wear stained sweatpants to work on Fridays...whichever).

This shirt is yet another one of my finds on thredUP, which I am almost as smitten with as I am with alliterative titles. Okay, maybe more. The leather jacket, which looks super expensive if you ask me, was a $25 find on thredUP. Cha ching. I think it's turned into my favorite place to shop. They might as well put me on the pay roll. Feel free to be sick of me talking about thredUP. 

However, if you're interested in a post about how I find awesome things on thredUP, I'd be happy to oblige. Just let a sister know. 


The Look:
Blazer: Express (old)
Shirt: LOFT via thredUP
Skirt: The Limited 
Shoes: BCBG via Boscov's 
Earrings: Local boutique called Sweet Elizabeth Jane (find them on Facebook!)

I keep finding the cutest and really reasonably priced (these earrings were a mere $6) jewelry at this boutique in the downtown shopping area near me. Sweet Elizabeth Jane has the cutest housewares and jewelry and trinkets and skirts and ALL THE PRETTY THINGS. If you're ever in downtown Ellicott City, Maryland, check it out. You'll thank me later. 

I smirk like I know what's up. 


Meet outfit number two, my ticket to bad assery, which autocorrect does not think is a thing. Rest assured that it is. 

The Look:
Leather Jacket: Buffalo by David Bitton (via thredUP)
Shirt: LOFT via thredUP
Pants: Celebrity Pink via Boscov's
Flats: Steve Madden via DSW




After I came up with this week's outfits, I cruised Pinterest, which probably should have happened the other way around. Anyway, I realized that this outfit must have been subconsciously inspired by Ashley; I pinned her look 9 weeks ago. Man, it must have really stuck with my brain? I didn't even have this shirt 9 weeks ago. I must also be prophetic. 

Thanks to Sarah and Lucky B Boutique for making me stretch my brain with their April Challenge
Today's look is inspired by the "local love" theme (this look was as well, but I needed to make sure I didn't double up on my themes.) I am a rule follower to the core. 


For your viewing pleasure, here is another way I've worn the skirt:

And another way I've worn the pants:

I'm nothing if not thorough. 


8 comments:

  1. You are always convincing me to wear more cobalt. Love both of these looks. You've been having such luck on ThredUp lately! I just put in an order from there last week, and I'm impatiently awaiting its arrival to see how the pieces work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how these looks are SO similar yet have very different feels! I need to take advantage of this concept a little bit more...I think it would help me to make a lot more outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're feeling better and I love both of these outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both of your outfits! It's so crazy how even with the same color scheme, change a few pieces and you have a totally different feel! I also do the same thing way too much- wear an outfit then search Pinterest so I can claim to have 'copied' it :) Whoops

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok you'll probably think I'm nuts but I'm not even entirely sure what thredUP is... So I think a post about it would be super helpful! I'm guessing it's a website where people sell their used clothes? I think I heard something like you can sell clothes too and then get credit to buy from other people's stores? I've given up on selling any of my clothes because they aren't really good brands, hence why I've gotten rid of them. Bottom line, I'd love to find out more about how you get such awesome finds.

    I like that you used the same color scheme in both outfits. That's actually a fantastic idea for a post or even a link up. I think you should start one. Oh and that jacket has "bad assery" written all over it. Is it real leather? Because it looks fantastic! Genius idea about tucking the belt into itself on the jacket. I'm not a fan of moto jackets with that waist belt but I never thought to tuck it. Duh. And now I just feel silly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you are feeling up to your sassy, fun self.

    Loving that lace top and both times it looks so good with cobalt. I am glad I finally purchased both a cobalt skirt and cobalt pants last Fall. My skirt is also from The Limited and I am glad I included it this month on my 30 for 30 challenge because I wore the heck out of it. LOL

    That jacket is gorgeous and I am jealous you bought it for that much,

    ReplyDelete
  7. DANG IT! I just wrote a long comment, and when I went to post it, it disappeared. So, here it is in a nutshell:
    1. I love the cobalt and black, as always.
    2. Those pants look amazing on you.
    3. $25 for that fantastic leather jacket?! Way to go, bargain hunter!
    4. I completely agree with you on the alliterative name thing - we've ruled out any names that begin with M or B (I kept my last name and Kevin's last name starts with a B, and we haven't decided what last name our future kid will have). I think it's too cutesy for me or something?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cobalt and black - such lovely colors together. I love both of these looks!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to throw some witticisms my way.