Monday, April 7, 2014

Babies & Puppies

When I reach the end of a weekend that involves hanging out with babies and puppies, I feel better. (After an accidental gluten ingestion, I absolutely needed to feel better.) Allow me to clarify: hanging out with babies and puppies in my family makes me feel better. Standing next to the wailing eight-year-old in Target while his mother strokes his head and says, "he's sad" (no shit, Sherlock) does not make me feel better. It makes me feel...well, the opposite of better. I hang out with teenagers all day long, so I grimace for that parent whose only remaining coping mechanism is petting her child's head and saying "he's sad." It's not an easy job when you can't hand 'em back. 

On Saturday, Jeff and I attended a baby cousin's baptism in Philly. The drive sucker punched me in the kidneys, but hanging out with family on either side makes just about anything worth it. 

Tonight, I instantly relaxed as I sprawled out on the enormous bean bag--a mainstay I'd like to join my living room in the near future--with Tater Tot (my niece) and fed her a bottle. She's at that age where she wants to pull everyone around by the finger, and I like walks. Not typically walking in circles, but I'll take it. What she does not enjoy is diaper changing time. (Dude, soak that up while you've got it. Someone is going to wipe your behind for you. It's a blessed thing. Bask in it.) My solution? While my sister-in-law changed her, I poked her in the nose with a marker and made farting noises. It worked. Toddlers aren't so different from teenagers. Or is it the other way around? 

Without further ado, what better outfit to show you than one that involves animal print and puppies? 

The dare devil on the left is Rudy. The cutie on my lap is Sammy. 


The Look:
Cardigan: Old Navy
Tank: White House Black Market
Necklace: Old Navy
Pants: Express via thredUP
Shoes: Jones New York via Marshall's (old)
Belt: The Limited (recent)



How could I not include this glamour shot!?


I know it's not exciting, but I really liked this combination of colors. I feel like I combined black and yellow without looking like a bumble bee, which is a pretty big feat. 

I also wore the pants this way...
(I guess this color combination isn't too far from today's...oops?)

Linking up with
* The Style Record (http://www.thestylerecord.com






7 comments:

  1. Very pretty look! I really like the pop of coral from your necklace too. I can totally see how a weekend of baby and puppy cuddles would be excellent therapy =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable outfit and adorable puppies! Just can't go wrong! Those pants fit you so well. Are they stretchy?
    Visiting from Mollys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those puppies are ADORABLE! SO FLUFFY! Even if the colors may be a little boring, they're so tried and true and look fantastic together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute simple outfit. Love the leopard flats and those puppies are adorable!

    Kimberly
    mascaramelodies.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. I can't stand crying kids. Babies? I get. But an 8 year old? Wtheck. When my husband and I encounter that kind of scene in public, we say the exact same thing to each other, "My parents would NEVER have let me get away with that kind of behavior in public" (or that's the kind of thing we'd get in trouble for when we got home). I'm not on a high horse. I just believe in discipline. I also believe that tan and mustard look really nice together. So... take that for what it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gah I love your pants. And that cardigan. And those heels. While we're at it, just hand over those adorable puppies too. I like that you matched your leopard heels while not making it obvious that you're matching your shoes. The colors play so nicely together, like puppies and babies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED this post - babies and puppies are the best medicine. It's been a doozy of a week for me as well - just over a month after a student in my district drowned in the school pool, a high school senior at my school went missing with his dad on a hiking trip in the mountains last week during spring break. Being a part of the counseling staff this week has been nothing short of awful/exhausting, so I completely understand wanting to snuggle up with some puppies!! I know that when I get home tonight, I'm going to crawl under a blanket with my dogs, put on my favorite music, and just relax.

    Also, you look absolutely stunning in this outfit, you should know. You are just beautiful, and I love how you pair different pieces together to create such classy outfits!! You know when people ask who your style icon(s) is/are? You're on my list.

    PS. I hope all is going well with your recovery!!!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to throw some witticisms my way.