Saturday, October 27, 2012

Football Fun & An Etymological Lesson

So, this year marks my seventh as a teacher. Can you believe it? My students never believe that I'm 28, and they thought I was a student in the stands. I'll take that compliment for as long as it lasts. 

I know I shouldn't have a favorite student, but I do. One of my aides has been my student for three of his four years in high school! His freshman year was my first year at this school. Though I know nothing about sports, I ended up with a favorite student who happens to be a star athlete. Go figure. I promised to go to his senior football game, my first football game in my seven years of teaching. Heck, I haven't been to a football game since I was in high school and not teaching it. 

There is something about being a teacher and going to a football game that makes me feel like a celebrity. Luckily, my co-teacher, whom I like to call a unicorn because she is magical, attended and so did my intern last year. It was a little reunion and lots of fun.


This shot is the only one you get of my outfit, which was a nice casual day get up if I do say so myself. I wore:

  • my white cardigan from Target
  • my plaid button up (which one student said "looks like Easter") from Old Navy
  • my bauble-like necklace from New York and Company (another student said he liked it)
  • My jeans from Abercrombie (way old because I never shop there anymore; everything there has holes in it!)
  • And my new shoes from DSW

Allow me to tell you what's not fun. It's not fun when you've been on your feet all day, realized your feet hurt in these shoes, and live too far from work to go home before the football game just to change shoes. So, I ended up at DSW, looking for a new pair of shoes. I landed on these because...
a.) they had no heel (who wears heels to a football game?)
b.) they could be worn without socks (don't you dare judge me)
c.) they left room for my pinky toes to breathe
d.) they did not cost an arm and a leg
Thank you, Converse, for soothing my aching feet. 
I still want the white ones I asked my mom to buy me for Christmas. 
Again, don't you dare judge me. 

Since I'm a teacher, I'd like to give you a little nugget of wisdom. Do you know the origination of the idiom "it costs an arm and a leg?" Well, allow me to inform you. Back in the day, before cameras existed (*GASP*), people hired painters to illustrate their likeness. Painters charged by the number of limbs they had to paint, so more limbs equaled more dinero for the person being painted. (That's why you see some pictures of people with their arm behind their back or something of that nature.) As a result, we now have the phrase, "It costs an arm and a leg," so it makes sense that the phrase means, "It costs a lot."  Now, I already knew this little story, but here is some confirmation from Snopes. I hope you enjoyed this little etymological lesson. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to throw some witticisms my way.