Friday, March 14, 2014

Casual Friday

I found a silver lining in the blistering cold of today. Since the whipping wind forced me to put on thick gloves and several layers, I had some protection for the epic fall I took on the pavement outside of Target. It's no secret that I possess very little grace. I trip over everything, and I choke on air. Today, as I scurried to escape the cold, much like Piglet of Winnie the Pooh tries to avoid the blustery day, I tripped over a bump in the sidewalk and went flying into the pavement. Thanks to Mom and Dad, I knew to put my hands out (instead of my face) to break my fall. I hit the ground and slid ever so not gracefully. I hit so forcefully that I broke the box of the shoes I was returning, destroyed my left shoe, ended up with rocks embedded in my jacket, and tore a hole in my glove. A kind man driving by (it was surprisingly and thankfully not busy) STOPPED his car and was all ready to get out and help me when I popped up, declaring, "I'm okay." (My ego, on the other hand, was a different story. And so was my knee. And the shoe box. And my shoe.) So, the silver lining is that all of the layers I had piled on reduced the damage. As my Dad said, "Good thing you weren't wearing a skirt. And now you can get a new pair of shoes like the boots you just got." Dad knows me all too well.

As a heating pad soothes my back and a bag of corn reduces the swelling in my knee, all I can do is laugh at myself. I mean, really, does my ridiculousness ever end? Nope. I did, however, get a new pair of flats out of the ordeal. I like them better than the ones I was wearing, so there's that...

(And my husband just texted me to say that he's helping at the scene of an accident. Good to know he's a kind Samaritan like the man who stopped to help me at Target.)

The Look:
 Cardigan: Target (HA.) Here is the exact one.
Shirt: Old Navy--similar for $6.40
Belt: Francesca's--similar
Jeans: The Limited--similar from The Limited
Boots: Ralph Lauren via DSW (got them for $100 down from $250!)--similar
Scarf: gift from my 11-year-old niece...girl's got style :) --  similar


I went into DSW for sneakers and walked out with boots. My priorities are in line, folks.

---------------------------------

Linking up with
and

-----------------------------------

8 comments:

  1. Oh my that sounds like a very painful fall! Good thing you were wearing layers to protect you (and pants, your dad is right). Were you still able to return the shoes even though the box was broken? It doesn't seem like it'd be an important part of the return especially if they were able to tell that you just took a large fall with rocks embedded into your jacket and all.

    Onto the outfit, that olive shirt (what we can see of it) looks quite lovely! The light grey cardigan highlights it well. Tell your niece she's got excellent taste in scarves. That one is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some cute boots! I've been looking for some in the same color. And by "looking", I mean "hoping will magically appear on my doorstep without me actually doing any work". Sorry to hear about your wipe-out. If it makes you feel any better, my husband and I took the dogs to the dog park yesterday and I heard them running up to us from behind; usually they go between or around us, but this time, one or both of them ran into the back of my leg, and I went feet first up in the air and wiped out. At least no one was around. So I guess your fall was worse. Hm. My stories to make you feel better usually aren't enough to make you feel better, are they? I guess I'll work on that. In the mean time, let's just admire your pretty scarf and new boots :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you weren't injured too badly. How awful! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't help but laugh at your story.. and think back to this December when I ever so not gracefully fell myself... except I fell in front of all my 6th graders while we were roller skating.. I fell a few times and ended up hurting my knee, it was pretty swollen. Crutches and December weather don't go very well together!

    Your outfit on the other hand, is lovely! I love that scarf! And the boots are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dannngggg, girl! You had a wicked spill! I hope your body and your ego are able to recover :) I'm so glad to see this entire outfit after seeing the teaser on Instagram earlier this week. I still am in love with that scarf, and you styled this outfit so nicely. Those boots are killer, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! Sounds like a painful fall! I gotta say though, I would've loved to see it. That's what friends are for right? haha. Though I danced my whole life, I'm still not graceful. Actually, my mom would sarcastically call me Graceful when I'd trip and fall on air. My daughter will be named Grace, and hopefull God doesn't play some cruel joke on her and not give her any graceful qualities.
    Look at those beauties on your feet! This outfit formula is pretty much fail proof. Jean + scarf + cardigan = always a win.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! That sounds like a rough fall. Hopefully you are all healed up now (I'm a little behind, and playing catch-up on your blog.) Love this look, it's a perfect cold weather outfit formula. And I can't blame you for snatching up these boots; they are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your outfit! Simple, but really classy. I love the coordinating boots and belt, and love that scarf!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to throw some witticisms my way.