Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Trendy Tuesday: Gingham and Cords

Just call me an accidental American. I seem to like this whole shades of blue, red, and gray/white color palette. Hey, when it works, it works. Even if I'm the only one who thinks it works.

I just have some random thoughts today, and I like lists, so I shall list these random thoughts in no particular order. What's a random list if it's not randomly generated?

1. Since when did "matchy matchy" become a frowned-upon-fashion thing? Yes, my belt pulls in the white of the gingham and the necklace. Yes, my nude pumps match my nude belt. And, why not? From some people, I get the impression that things should now "go" instead of "match." (Granted, I think that line is so fine I could erase it with my foot.) Although I appreciate how much this blog has broadened my sartorial horizons, I am who I am. Though things that "go" now make my closet seem like a much more creative place, I still like things to match. In fact, as I have probably said before, I cannot go to sleep unless my pajamas match. I tried pattern mixing once, and I kind of liked it. Some people, like Ginny, are pattern-mixing bosses. So, if I match, just go with it. Hey, I don't flag down every girl stuffing her sweatpants into her Uggs, so I can rock a "matchy matchy" outfit.

P.S. What exactly qualifies as matchy matchy anyway? As long as I don't do this, no matter how much I love houndstooth, am I okay? I looked up "matchy matchy." This scared the yoga pants off of me. This made me rock my head back in laughter. You're welcome.

2. Lesson learned (not for the first time): do not attempt to pull on pants after slathering Gold Bond on your legs. You will tear off one of your belt loops and have to sew it back on after rebuking yourself for making such a rookie mistake.

3. After yet another day off, I am beginning to wonder two things: one, what am I teaching anymore? Two, what do my feet look like without boots?

I have nothing else for you except what I wanted to wear to school for Trendy Tuesday and what I would have worn if school weren't cancelled on Trendy Tuesday. I considered showing you what I'm really wearing, but I've gotta cut you off somewhere.

First up: what I would have worn if the temperature did not necessitate tights on my legs and boots on my feet. Can I tell you how excited I am to wear this outfit in warm weather?
The Look:
Shirt: Target! (I love it much more than the one I returned to J.Crew Factory.)
Skirt: LOFT (it was an online return, only one in the store...my size...fate?)
Heels: Nine West via Marshall's
 Belt: Target
Necklace: Lauren Conrad via Kohl's

Close up of both my DIRTY mirror and clothing.


Next up: what I planned to wear for Trendy Tuesday at work. Now, I originally planned for my white cords, but their pant loop is still waiting on me to fix it. I realized, however, that I really like how these cords fit me. Happy accident.
The Look:
Shirt: Target (I found it in the store.)
Cardigan: Croft & Barrow via Kohl's (it's a little thick, which I like.)
Pants: old from LOFT
Booties: Old Navy
Necklace: New York and Co.

At first, I wasn't going to show you my make-up-less face, but I decided to join in with Agi and other ladies for the I Am Beautiful link-up.  This is my 7a.m. face. Enjoy. 

----------------------------------
Linking up with
and
----------------------------------

If you participated in Trendy Tuesday, feel free to tag me on Instagram (@likewo) with #trendytuesday or e-mail me that it's up on your blog. I like showing my co-teacher that 
our fun Trendy Tuesdays make it past our school! :)

12 comments:

  1. Both of these outfit are adorable. Snow days are great when their is one randomly when you really need a day off and not great when it's the end of the quarter and there's a crisp ton to do. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving both outfits! That Lady Gaga picture totally cracks me up. And nothing with matchy matchy. I like pattern mixing and prints, but there is a fine line of looking stylish and looking like a 3 year old dressed you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm a big believer in people embracing their personal style! Some people feel more comfortable with matchy-matchy, some people feel more comfortable with nothing matching at all. I switch between the two. I bought polka dot shoes that exactly match a polka dot dress of mine, and I wear them together. That's pretty matchy, perhaps over the top, but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for linking up today. You look amazing. You don't need stitch of make up. Thank you so much for taking the time to join me today.

    Agi:)

    vodkainfusedlemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful as always! I can see why you are excited to wear that springy outfit; it's so cute! I've wondered what's so bad about "matching" too. I often do it because it's easy and I know it will work. And as long as it's not like my second grade outfits: purple top, purple pants, purple socks, purple hair clips - I'm probably doing okay haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first outfit is stunning. I want to re-create it badly though I don't have a girly, scallop-hemmed skirt like you do (and I am jealous). I love your second outfit and the fact that we both have on burgundy cords. I also mentioned that on the blog today & gave you a sweet hello. You are welcome!

    Third I love mixing prints and have been doing it for 7 years or so now, before that was even popular. I also love coordinating colors and putting together colors that go. But at the same time I like matchy-matchy and I do that too often, especially for dressier outfits. Thanks for the funny links, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think fashion gets a little crazy sometimes! Somewhere along the line, the rule that your belt had to match your shoes and purse was changed to "it doesn't HAVE to match" and then to "if it matches, you are an outdated weirdo!" I think we may have over-corrected!! Sometimes matching looks good, sometimes it looks ridiculous. Not everyone agrees on when it is good and when it is ridiculous. I've actually been on the lookout for a nude skinny belt to match my nude pumps, so I'm on board with that kind of matchy-matchy! I absolutely love your first outfit. Those shoes are so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that pale pink scalloped skirt it is so pretty! As well as the heels...really I just love that whole outfit!
    ~Amanda~ Meet @ the Barre

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving both outfits! I, too, am beginning to wonder what my feet look like without boots. I like to match, sometimes I even match my socks to what I'm wearing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. See I feel like "matchy matchy" is frowned upon bc it can come across as juvenile or uncreative. And by matchy matchy, i mean - top, belt, shoes all are the same color. But when I recently wore a look like this, I received a lot of good feedback, so I just need to shake it from my head that it's a 'bad' thing because it's not always the case!
    Love both of your gingham looks!
    Oh, and I also laughed out loud when you said you wondered what your feet looked like without boots. I'm going to florida for a few days and I was telling a couple girls at work I was so excited to *have* to shave my legs! oh the little things. Go away crazy winter!!
    Carylee @ morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think both your outfits with your new gingham are super adorable. I should have bought those bow heels when I saw them at my local Marshall's a little while back. Super adorable. I'm headed to the Bay Area to visit family this weekend and was excited to be able to layer and wear my thick scarves. Then I checked the weather forecast and it won't get below 70. Grr.

    I thought I was the only one who used the term "matchy matchy" so I'm glad that's actually a thing. I actually love matching. I love taking a color from the patterned material I'm wearing and adding an accessory to match. I think those are the best cohesive outfits and just work SO well. Keep things "matchy matchy" my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, I can't wait for the weather to be consistently warm so I can bare-leg my dresses and skirts! I'm so over tights right now.

    My thoughts on the whole matchy-matchy thing. I am not a huge fan of pattern-mixing because most of the time, it looks like you just got dressed in the dark or that you are trying way too hard to be "edgy." I do really love when things "go" together or coordinate. Maybe that is matchy-matchy. I don't know. I guess I like when people look like they put thought into what they are wearing, but not that they're over-thinking it. I don't think that makes sense...haha.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to throw some witticisms my way.