Monday, March 10, 2014

Pinspiration & Organization

 I wanted this skirt so desperately, and after Mom (I mean...Santa) bought it for me, I was at a loss. How would I style it? It seemed too dressy to style it exactly like my other black maxi skirt. It's a bit too cold to wear just a t-shirt with it. What to do? What to do?

Well, first came a brain fart, and then came styler's block, and then came Sydney in a Pinterest carriage. I am not sure any of us remember how we dressed ourselves before Pinterest.
However, I am happy to report that I need Pinterest less often than I did in the past, but it sure has helped me make more sense of my closet. (Too bad it does not help my husband make more sense of my side of the closet. Is there an app for that?)

When the weather warms up, I think I will try a graphic tee with this skirt.
Feel free to send your ideas my way.
 The Look:
Shirt: Old Navy
Cardigan: The Limited (it's old, and it had a tie, but I cut it off.)
Skirt: Lauren Conrad via Kohl's 
Flats: Steve Madden via DSW
Necklace: Okay, it's either Francesca's or The Limited. 



 I wanted you to see the fun backs of these flats.


Speaking of Pinterest, I wanted to discuss how I organize my style boards. I used to have one big style board, but that thing was such a disorganized dump that the frustration it caused me prevented any kind of pinspiration from taking place. And then I got organized. If you do not mind indulging me, I thought we could discuss how I cleaned up shop.
Look! I made a fun graphic!


2014 Closet Resolutions -- Pictures of outfits that I can recreate with items I want to make sure I'm wearing but don't wear enough. I delete pins once I've worn the outfit and just add a picture of how I wore it on my outfits board.
Warm Weather Fashion -- (for spring and summer) some of the pins, I put a tag in the description "with tights and boots" so that I can find it when I search my boards for winter looks with tights
Cool Weather Fashion -- (for fall and winter)
Color Combinations -- This board is my favorite. It's full of color combinations I want to try (ex: coral/blush and cobalt blue). If I've tried the combination, I might move the pin to another board like "Warm Weather Fashion" because I like the silhouette.

My Outfits -- all the looks from my blog

DIY Fashion -- Tutorials AND pictures of things I want to learn to make. For example, I really liked a checked dress that I want to figure out how to make one day.

Fashion Tips & Helpful Websites -- I include pictures of one item many ways in this category. I'm thinking about making a new board for those pins.
Closet Holes & Wants -- I pin items I'd like to add to my closet. I delete them once I've added them to my closet.
Geez, that's a lot of boards, but I've found that one big board for all of the stuff is not as easy to navigate. 

------------------------------
Linking up with
* Molly 
------------------------------

10 comments:

  1. First of all you look lovely and you got me convinced even more that I need a Black Maxi Skirt. Yours is so pretty and you styled it nicely. Glad to see so many of my favorite daily reading blogs wear their Mustard Cardigans, lately. I have to do the same. That necklace is gorgeous, the flats too cute and your hair is looking sassy-pretty. Yep I made up that adjective using those 2 words. =)

    I too love Pinterest but my biggest board "Fashion" is one huge mess. Can I divide it into several different ones? Will Pinterest let me do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ada- I used to have one board, and I was able to divide it into multiple boards, but it's a tedious process. If you create a new board, you can go into your "fashion" board and individually move each photo to a new board by clicking the pencil icon and then using the drop down tab to move it to a new board (after you've created it). Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. Ummm, I'm wearing the same tee today, hahaha. Love it! I wish I could look as cute as you do in a maxi skirt, but I always look pretty goofy in them. I think they tend to look much better on smaller girls, and I'm...not...haha. So, I just will admire how adorable you look in yours. I really like the look of the mustard cardigan tucked in, by the way. It adds such a great crispness to the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew what your pinspiration was before I clicked it! Originally (this weekend) I had planned on wearing something like that today, but I opted for today's outfit instead (obviously). Anyway. I think I'm in a similar boat-- I don't need Pinterest, but boy howdy do I enjoy it. Except when I don't. I was looking for inspiration for my tan/camel skirt and/or polka dot tights, and it was hopeless. Maybe I'm just terrible at using the search engine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your hair like this! And I'm with Kate, I knew exactly what pin you were talking about before even clicking it. I wish Sydney would go back to blogging her outfits like she used to. I can't tell you how many times I've gone through her archive and found inspiration from her. I really like your idea of having a color combinations board, and I may have to try that. I already have mine organized by 'fall/winter outfit pinspiration' and then just 'outfit pinspiration' (because lets be honest, Louisiana pretty much has only one season, hot). I only really pin things there that I can re-create from things I have in my closet or plan to have in my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummmm this might be the most adorable outfit ever! I've never owned/worn a maxi skirt so I have no further suggestions, but I can't wait to see it with a graphic tee! I used to have one giant style board on Pinterest too, but now I've broken it down into at least 3 boards. I've been thinking of organizing them a bit more though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you organize your pinterest boards! Mine are a hot mess right now!

    Thanks so much for linking up with Funday Monday!

    xxAmber

    ReplyDelete
  7. That maxi does look a bit nicer than a basic cotton maxi but that just means you have more possibilities! You can never go wrong with a denim jacket and white tee. Or one of your plaid or gingham button up shirts tucked in or tied over with one of your momma's scarves. If it's long enough, you could wear some closed toed shoes or maybe ankle boots with tights underneath to be even warmer.

    I like your pinterest board ideas! I have two Pinterest accounts, one for the blog which I've pretty much neglected and my personal one. I've been mainly adding pins I can recreate but I love your idea about color combinations. I may need to update my blog account and organize it in a similar way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great! I can see how that skirt would be tricky, because it does seem fancy. I think a graphic tee will be really cute!

    I just have one "fashion ideas" board and I really need to break it out into seasons at least. I don't pin as much as a lot of people, but it's nice to have it more organized. And I love that they added the option to search my own pins. That helps when I'm looking for something specific.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love this outfit!!!! So classy!! I need to organize my Pinterest boards...yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to throw some witticisms my way.